The Other Side of the Pond
Saturday, April 08, 2006

Everyone is excited because I met someone online who flew here from London to take me to dinner. Even I was impressed. Most guys I know have trouble finding their way uptown.

It was a week of e-mails followed by a three-hour transatlantic call that turned into a weekend about four weeks later. He booked a hotel in my neighborhood and suddenly he was here. On my corner, at an outdoor cafe, the real person behind the profile.

In short, the weekend turned out to be rather great. And so the question that follows is... now what?

I told the story to my mom. I thought she'd be happy to hear there was at least someone nice on my radar. After listening to my tale she said, "Oh I can't see you moving to London! I can't see you living there!"

Can I? Honestly, I'm not there yet, but it does make you realize just how many things need to be "in place" before you feel able to take that leap. I know there are people who leap first and look after. And then there are those like me who tend to look and keep on looking.

My neighbor down the hall was living in London before she was my neighbor down the hall. How did she get here? She was contacted on JDate from this guy (my first neighbor) in New York. They spoke for twelve hours. He flew over. Three weeks later they married. I was surprised when I found out the guy in that apartment had suddenly gained a wife.

"It was a JDate success story," they told me, trumping my JDate success story. I'd just had three dates with someone over a period of three weeks.

I told my mother that story too. "Sounds like she really wanted to move to New York," she said. In my mother's day women lived at home, and married because they wanted to get out of the house. Choices. Moving and romance. Do we move because we are romantic, or are we romantic because we need to move?

It's important to keep moving. It's important to get out. It is raining now, but I want to get out of the house. But I am going to wait. Because I just got a text message from London that a certain someone is planning to call.

1 COMMENTS:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. What happened with the man from London? I have two friends who moved to cities for men--one to London and one to New Zealand. They both were in unhappy careers, so they figured that even if it didn't work out, they didn't have much to lose. I guess those stories support the idea that the need for change is bigger than the need for romance. But if it's arelationship that inspired you to take that leap, isn't it still romantic?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home