Till Divorce Do Us Part
Thursday, April 20, 2006

I met a friend yesterday and we got to talking about a mutual acquaintance, a former colleague of his, and a former frog of mine! This toad is now on his fourth wife who's about to give birth and he just lost his job. As my friend talked about the guy's behavior at work - and he was in a pretty high level position - it became apparent all the types of shenanigans the frog pulled professionally was the same stuff he had pulled with me personally. I was glad not to be Mrs. X the Fourth, but my friend and I were both pretty convinced there would, indeed, be a Mrs. X the Fifth. And with her it'd be even more complicated by the part-time custody of his kid.

Look, I wish him well. I may not think he's a prince, but perhaps he's finally become someone's Goodfrog! But based on my experiences, when it comes to divorce the question for me is this. Do people learn from their mistakes or do they just get a new opportunity to repeat them?

We know I'm not one to talk! So whatever I say are just my observations and feelings, and that's all there is to that. I mean, I never made it down that aisle. To some that makes me unqualified to comment, to others it makes me highly selective, and to others it makes me socially retarded! But in the last few years I began dating divorced men I have observed a thing or two. And this is what it is.

Whatever they tell me was wrong with the relationship with their wife, pretty much becomes the dynamic they begin to recreate with me. But they don't see it and they never get it. So I just wind up getting out.

There has only been one person who told me he really loved his wife and explained why they split up. And it made sense. But most of the guys I've dated proceed to tell me right off the bat how they never loved their wife, it was a mistake from the beginning, they never should have let it "get that far." I wonder if they think that sounds better. It makes me wonder if they understand their feelings. And makes me wonder how they will talk about me.

Last night I went out with someone who was never married. We talked about the play we saw and we talked about celebrities. It was a lot more fun.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

<< Home