Un-Haired Of
Friday, April 28, 2006

My cell phone woke me the other morning. It was time to get up, but I was deep into one of those great, heavy sleeps. The kind you have in the morning after you've had a good night. No... not that kind of night! But I'd just had an amazing party at Rizzoli Bookstore the night before. It was exciting and glamorous, the store located off Fifth Avenue on West 57th with its mahogany staircases and view from their balcony. So I was sleeping it off. But I got up to get the phone, and it seemed there were several messages from my print agent about a go-see that morning.

So what am I talking about? Okay. A print agent is someone who sends you out on auditions for print or magazine ads... it's modeling work done by people who look like real people instead of models. A go-see is a casting call. The term came about as you are told to "go see" this photographer at this time at that address. Anyway, I got myself up and dressed and went.

I was told I was to be a nurse or a patient in a doctor's office. When the casting director came out to put us in groups - Doctor, Patient, Nurse - he looked at me and said Patient. And I was pretty happy about that. Because when I signed in and read the breakdown I saw the nurse was an extra and the pay was a few hundred, but the patient was a principal and would pay a few thousand. Then I looked more closely at the print under Patient and read:

Patient: Caucasian Woman, mid 40's, very skinny, has cancer. If cast hair will be styled to appear bald.

I immediately looked in the mirror, no longer upset about having a bad hair day. And when I looked away I saw that a real, live bald actress was standing next to me and signing in.

Having already spent the money I only hoped to make, I felt upset that now I would probably not even book the job. Why book me and have to make me look bald when there was already bald actress ready to roll? Then I felt immediately guilty. What if she was bald because she was undergoing treatment? She looked beautiful, but what if she had been ill? On the other hand, she was very tall and pretty; perhaps she thought bald a becoming look. Or maybe she really needed the money and just shaved her head to try to get the job.

I went in the room with her but looked away when they took her photo. She left and I was next. I stood on my mark and asked what kind of expression I should have on my face.

"Serious," the casting director said. "You have cancer."

I made my 'serious I have cancer' face and he said great! He wanted another one - just like that! The girl popped in to say she might not be available the day of the shoot and they told her the day had been changed and not to worry.

I worried though. A little. Who was I to look like I had cancer if there was a real girl with cancer competing for the job? I wanted the job, even I did not want to feel like I had cancer. And I didn't want to beat out another girl for it who, godforbid, maybe did have it. But what if she did have it and then she didn't get the job?

Two days have passed and I haven't heard from the agent. I don't know what happened. I am busy LOOKING FOR MR. GOODFROG. But whatever does happens, I just hope we all stay healthy.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

<< Home