April Showers Bring May Flowers
Thursday, April 12, 2007

And my umbrella just broke.

More than a year ago I was downtown caught in a downpour and went into Bed, Bath, and Beyond to buy the biggest and best umbrella I could find. It was my most favorite ever - so big, a protective halo above me, and it came with a great carrying case. But it didn't last long, though I don't remember the problem. Only that I was disappointed it didn't hold up.

However, a year ago a guy from London I met on JDate flew over to meet me. One of the days it was raining, we were near a BBB, I had the bad umbrella with me (sometimes you just keep these things around if they are still somewhat fucntional), and so went into the store to show it to them and ask what was up.

Without a receipt or even a request, they gave me a new one. Later that evening having dinner with his friends, I recall him telling them "Laurie scammed the store out of a new umbrella." I know he didn't mean to, but the comment kind of stung. As if I had told some fib about it. I had done quite the opposite.

Anyway, today it's pouring and I took it out. I have new rainboots and a raincoat and though my poor little dog was drenched on the street, I was protected by the fabulous umbrella. I left it outside my apartment door opened to dry. Well, I just went to close it and it won't. The top will, but the metal bottom is stuck. Maybe a piece came off? Beginning to think there is something wrong with Nautica umbrellas. A shame. Time to switch. Despite the great packaging, it's time for a new brand.

The guy from London wrote to me a week ago. After a year. Just wanted to say hi and wondered if the frogs were still kissing. They aren't. For it's raining and they don't have a great umbrella and without the right gear they will get nothing but wet.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

<< Home