Make War Not Love, Make Ratings
Thursday, May 24, 2007

A guy I was dating this year said if there were no religions there would be no wars. Except that's not true. People like to fight. They fight about differences, and the context is surely not always religion based.

Watching the news today I learned of Rosie O'Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck's cat-fight on the air. What a VIEW. Even got to see a clip. I think it's a tough spot for Elisabeth. The underdog. Because she can't hold her own at that table. And it's between a cringe and a good time to watch.

I don't think like Elisabeth. In fact, I find it hard to believe that Elisabeth still thinks like Elisabeth. In the privacy of her own home is she really, truly defending everything Republican? Is she still behind Bush? The war? Abortion? It's hard to believe. But I'm not going to go there. I pray everyday, come next year, the Democrats will be taking us away from there. To a place much better, far away from the one we're at now. However, it's interesting.

Interesting she defends it all and so passionately. That the White House has invited her to dinner. She is a SURVIVOR, for sure. But it brings a question to mind about limits. And how to survive in a world, a country that now appears to be without them.

Everyone can be found every second of the day. Anyone can blog. There is way too much information, a definite lack of privacy, and no boundaries. Now we can see how this culture has blurred the boundaries on television. From the clear boundaries created by a scripted show, moving into a talk show, morphing into a somewhat improvised talk show, it has the potential to evolve into a schoolyard. Of fighting girls. The big fat bully picking on the innocent little blonde. Tho I never think of it like that, that's how Rosie stated it on TV, and I know she is right.

But what's most curious, is why do we care? Do we tune in to watch this, or do we watch this because there is nothing else to tune into? Will we ever again be able to turn on the television, for just unreality? Entertainment? Even this "entertainment" is reality. Who needs it? Do we have to know what everyone thinks about everything? Where is the line between personal and professional?

I don't agree with Elisabeth about much, but I feel for the position she's in. And though my opinions tend to jive with everyone else at that table I don't know how I would fare if invited to discuss a few hot topics. Though I tell you, I had my doubts when Rosie started last fall, but she gave everyone a year to remember. She is a force. She is herself. And when it all ends in the next three weeks, I bet everyone, even Elisabeth, will miss her... feud, fights and all.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

<< Home