Flat On My Back
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'm flat on my back. And not for a good reason!

Out my apartment door en route to a theater event for my book, I slipped on the water from the over mopped hallway floor. Slammed backward and thumped, thumped, thumped down the stairs... a few bottles of wine falling alongside me, crashing into bits and spilling across the lobby.

It was not fun.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me before. And if I had to choose a time that might be good - tho let's face it, there really is no good time for something like that to occur - but if I had to choose it would definitely not be three and half hours before I was to perform the play within my book as a performance fundraiser for my theater workshop. But we don't get to plan these things so there I was.

Moving ahead in this story...

Going to jump past my friend and superintedent lifting me into his SUV and carrying me out when we arrived downtown. Past me lying on the floor of the WorkShop Theater, giving instructions where to put the frogs, the books, and the brie while breathing deeply into the pain. I will even skip past me looking in the dressing room mirror to me looking scared in sweat pants, and just cut to the good part.

Theater is magical. Transforming. So suddenly my made up theater faced stared back at me, we had a tech rehearsal with the music and actors cast to dramatize the characters in the book, and then paying people were there. Yakking away, eating at the pre-performance reception, enjoying sandwiches and cheeses and muffins of spelt! They were delicious by the way... check out Speltilicious. No shit!

The performance was frogalicious! We did the chapter in GOODFROG that led up to Karrie's one person show FROGAPHOBIA. I got to play Karrie doing the show at her workshop while I did it in mine. And it felt grand.

I was on a high and during the show I was feeling no pain. Why do drugs when you can just do theater?

Of course today it's worn off. My back feels bruised and breaking. I didn't sleep and tomorrow I see a doctor.

But I keep remembering last night. All dressed up on the stage playing Karrie opposite the wonderful actors who plalyed Fred and Jane and Rodney. Hearing the laughter and hearing the applause. That's why I would always act. And now it's also why I write.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

<< Home