Out of Pocket
Monday, May 08, 2006

I did a neighborhood event last night with LOOKING FOR MR GOODFROG. A fabulous restaurant , and I highly reccomment you all go, called LOUIE'S WESTSIDE CAFE on West 81st and Amsterdam Avenue threw me a wonderful book party!

The question came up whether or not Karrie, the protagonist in GOODFROG, ever pays on dates. I immediately made it about me, but the person asking said, "No... not you! This is fiction." Yes! This IS ficiton. So... Karrie. Does she or doesn't she?

Karrie doesn't pay her way on dates. But then Karrie isn't even out on that many in GOODFROG. The main dating squeeze in the book is a very successful lawyer she met online, and money is not one of their problems... but everything else is!

Do you pay on dates? Do you think women should? Do you think they should offer? Do you think there's a courtship protocol that should be employed before that part begins?

What do you think a woman paying means to a man? At what point does money stop representing emotional things and become just about money?

"Money Changes Everything" was the front page story of yesterday's NY Times SundayStyles. There's also that movie Friends With Money. I hear it's good and plan to see it. There are many ways to look at money. But I'm partial to a line I wrote in GOODFROG I will share:

"Sex is a lot like money. It's only a problem if it isn't there."

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

<< Home